Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Mrs. Johnsons

I remember the first day I met Mrs. Johnson nearly 15 years ago. Today feels like nothing has changed except we are older. I am so blessed to have Mrs. Johnson as a part of my life. She has been there from day one with my walk as a christian. Mrs. Johnson has been there for the ups and downs, helping me deal with some difficult times in my life. I remember when she asked me to be the Sunday School Superintendent, I felt honor that she asked and served it with joy. One Sunday morning I was preparing the stage for worship and I had asked Mrs. Johnson if I could help her with the children church, she said "yes". From that day on I was her helper. She could start a sentence and I was able to finish it thats how close well we knew what to do in children church. I had a blast working with and a part of me misses those times we had shared.
After church on Sundays I would eat lunch with her and the family, then afterwards we all would hang out and watch tv. Mrs. Johnson was my adopted mom and she was there for me. I call Mrs. Johnson my mentor. She took me from a newborn to helping me learn how to crawl as a new christian, gave me spiritual guidance when I needed it. When I had a question or didn't understand something she would always try to give me the answer. As the years went by she told me it was ok to stumble or fall but I would just have to pick myself up. I don't think I would be where I am today without her guidance, care, love and friendship. Then this got handed down to the next Mrs. Johnson.



My mentor from 2000 to today has been Kelly. I have to say that it hasn't been an easy job for her, or at least I haven't made it easy. I should be giving her a paycheck for being difficult. I remember when kelly came to church for the first time. I found out that she was going to be taking over the children church the first thing I asked Mrs. Johnson was "is she still going to let me help?" I worked with Kelly until I took on the nursery. I can remember being in the only life group at the time. we would sit next to each other. One time during the discussion travis asked if he needed to separate us, so it felt like high school. Kelly was my mentor at the most difficult time in my life. I was dealing with alot of things in regards to the loss of my dad and had a hard time understanding. I know it wasn't easy and I made more difficult but it didn't matter she was still there making sure I wasn't giving up. She took me from the crawling stage to teaching me how walk and telling me its ok to to make mistakes that God would not love me less. through alot of conversations and talks, I had to come to peace with some things in my life. By promising her to go on a retreat I was able to forgive, have peace, accept and love. It was very difficult experience but I wouldn't trade it for anything, this was a turning point for me.
Now today Kelly has taught me how to run but at the same time if I fall I have to know how to pick myself back up and not stay down. She took me out of a comfort zone and I fought her on it but she won. Now there were times that things weren't great and allow myself to be suckered punch by the devil but Kelly was there to help. As of today, Kelly has never left my side even when I was being the most difficult I ever been. Through all this God blessed me with a friend that is irreplaceable, one that I call my sister and I wouldn't be this far without her.

1 comment: